Chinese Encyclopaedias of New Global Knowledge (1870-1930)
Doleželová-Velingerová, Milena and Wagner, Rudolf G. (eds.). Chinese encyclopaedias of new global knowledge (1870-1930) : changing ways of thought. Berlin : Springer, 2014. X-472 p. (“Transcultural research : Heidelberg studies on Asia and Europe in a global context”). ISBN : 978-3-642-35915-6.
This is a set of pioneering studies on Chinese encyclopaedias of modern knowledge (1870-1930). At a transitional time when modern knowledge was sought after yet few modern schools were available, these works were crucial sources of information for an entire generation. This volume investigates many of these encyclopaedias, which were never reprinted and are hardly known even to specialists, for the first time. The contributors to this collection all specialize in the period in question and have worked together for a number of years. The resulting studies show that these encyclopaedias open a unique window onto the migration and ordering systems of knowledge across cultural and linguistic borders.
- Pioneering studies on Chinese encyclopedias of modern knowledge
- Investigates hardly known encyclopedias
- Showcases that the encyclopedias open a unique window onto the migration and ordering systems of knowledge across cultural and linguistic borders
- Sommaire sur le site des éditions Springer (prévisualisation des deux premières pages de chaque article)
- Cet ouvrage est disponible à la bibliothèque du CECMC (cote M 9398)
Encyclopedias Database (sous-projet du cluster “Asia and Europe in a Global Context”, université de Heidelberg, Allemagne)
Contents of the database are excerpts from encyclopedic works from all over the world, mainly from the time of the 19th and 20th centuries. These excerpts are provided as digitized full text, scanned original pages, annotated images, and metadata.